Recruitment Matters – Policy on the Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act.
The POPI Act requires us to inform our data subjects (candidates/applicants) how we intend to use their information. We are also required to protect the information from any threats, internal or external, deliberate or accidental, to ensure business continuance. The policy provides framework and measures within our company regarding the protection of individuals privacy. All employees are required to adhere to the eight guidelines provided below in this policy. Any external service provider responsible for providing and managing information technology must adhere to the same information security principles contained in this policy to ensure security measures are in place in respect of processing of personal information.
Principle 1: Accountability
- We will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information obtained from candidates are stored safely and securely.
- This includes CV’s, resumes, references, qualifications, background checks and any other personal information that may be obtained for the purpose of candidate representation.
Principle 2: Processing limitation
- Personal information is collected directly from candidates.
- Once in our possession we will only use or release candidate information with their consent, except where we are required to do so by law. In the latter case we will always inform the candidate.
Principle 3: Specific purpose
- The personal information collected from candidates allow us to represent them to our clients for the purpose of finding and securing employment.
Principle 4: Limitation on further processing
- We collect personal information for recruitment purposes.
- Personal information will not be processed in a way that is incompatible with the purpose for which the information was collected initially, unless the data subject has provided consent.
Principle 5: Information quality
- It is our responsibility to ensure candidate information is complete, up to date and accurate before we use it.
- We may need to request candidates, from time to time, to update their information and confirm that it is still relevant.
- If we are unable to reach a candidate for this purpose, their information will be deleted from our records.
Principle 6: Transparency/openness
- Where personal information is collected from a source other than directly from any candidate (job portals, social media) we are responsible to ensure that the candidate is aware:
- That their information is being collected.
- Who is collecting their information by giving them our details of the specific reason that you are collecting the information.
Principle 7: Security safeguards
- We will ensure our internal measures is secure to protect the integrity of personal information, and guard against risk of loss, damage or destruction thereof.
- Personal information must also be protected against any unauthorized or unlawful access or processing.
- We are committed to ensuring that information is only used for legitimate purposes with candidate consent and only by authorized employees of our agency.
Principle 8: Participation of individuals
- Candidates are permitted to know any particulars of their personal information held by us, as well as the identity of any authorized employees of our agency that had access thereto.
- Candidates are entitled to correct any information held by us.
The purpose of collecting your information is to enable Recruitment Matters to:
- Refer you to a client for employment by sending your CV containing personal information.
- Perform the required checks (reference checks, criminal record, qualifications, credit history etc.).
Consequences of withholding consent or personal information:
Recruitment Matters will not be able to assist you to find employment should you refuse to provide us with consent or withhold information.
Storage and retention and destruction of information
All personal information provide to Recruitment Matters will be held and/or stored securely for the purpose of recruitment or re-recruitment. Once this information is no longer required, due to the fact that you no longer need Recruitment Matters to find you employment, such personal information will be safely and securely archived for a period of 5 years, as per the requirements of the Companies Act, 71of 2008. Thereafter, all your personal information will be permanently destroyed.
The employees of Recruitment Matters are responsible for administering and overseeing the implementation of this policy and, as applicable, supporting guidelines, standard operating procedures, notices, consents and appropriate related documents and processes. All employees and individuals directly associated with us are to be trained, according to their functions, in the regulatory requirements, policies and guidelines that govern the protection of personal information.
We shall establish appropriate standard operating procedures that are consistent with this policy and regulatory requirements. This will include;
- Allocation of information security responsibilities.
- Incident reporting and management.
- User ID addition or removal.
- Information security training and education.
- Data backup.
Breach of policy
Any breach of policy may result in disciplinary action being taken which could result in the termination of employment.
Right to amend this policy:
Recruitment Matters reserve the right to amend this policy at any time. An updated copy will be available on our website. Unless otherwise stated, the current version shall supersede and replace all previous versions of this policy.
By sending us your application, CV, resume, qualifications, or any other document that falls under personal information, you agree to the following:
- You have read and understood our POPI Policy.
- You have no objection to us keeping your personal information on our database for future positions.
- We will contact you and obtain consent before sending your CV to a client for a specific position or purpose.
- You have provided us with accurate and up-to-date information.
By agreeing to the terms of this form, I hereby voluntarily authorize Recruitment Matters to process my personal information (it can include my name, physical address, ID number and any other information I have provided). Processing shall include the receipt, recording, organizing, ordering, storage, updating or modification, retrieval, alteration, consultation, use; dissemination by means of transmission, distribution or making available in any other form; or merging, linking, as well as blocking, degradation, erasure of destruction of information. This consent is effective immediately and will be terminated upon instructions from you, the candidate.
I furthermore take note that by supplying Recruitment Matters with the above-mentioned information, I consent to them using the information for recruitment purposes pertaining to this matter.
- Right to know what information we have, how that information is being used and when Recruitment Matters will disclose that information.
- A copy of our Policy is available and can be obtained from our website, wherein all the above information is made available.
- Right to correct your details – Recruitment Matters endeavors to keep your information up to date, should any of your details change, please notify us of same so that our records are as accurate as possible.
- Right to revoke consent – you may revoke your consent given to us in terms of this form at any time. Your revocation should be in writing and addressed to [email protected].
- Revoke consent is not backdated and will not affect use of your information already made.
Declaration and informed consent:
- I declare that all personal information supplied to Recruitment Matters is accurate, up to date, is not misleading and that it is complete in all respects.
- I undertake to immediately notify Recruitment Matters of any changes to my personal information should any of these details change.
- I furthermore give Recruitment Matters permission to process my personal information, as provided above, and acknowledge that I understand the purpose for which it is required and for which it will be used.